Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Engine of Invention meets in Lyndhurst, OH


This past weekend my husband, David, had his buddies over to jam in our basement (band name: Engine of Invention). I find it very amusing having a house that booms throughout the neighborhood for a few days. Normally the only noise echoing from our abode are sounds of whining and crying (we have a 2 1/2 year old who is practicing her independence, and an 8-month-old who is teething).
I grew up with a drummer dad, and I remember it felt pretty cool having a drum set in our basement. It always gave me great joy to hear hi9m practice - even though it was terribly noisy, I knew my dad was doing something important for himself. I felt sad when years later the drum set ended up being packed away in the attic, because it symbolized packing his dreams away as well.
Although having a band playing in my basement can be pretty noisy, it fills me with happiness - because I know my husband is living his dream down there.
And as our kids grow up they will notice the same things, and they'll learn how important it is to practice those dreams to keep them alive.

My message today - BANG ON YOUR DRUM!

1 comment:

SRNA and living the dream! said...

Yeah, I know what it is like to have the drums banging in the basement. Having my back used as a base drum. The steering wheel is the snare. And the rear view mirror is the cymbal. Love the noise. Bang the drum and LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL!