Sunday, May 18, 2008

Word Lover's Retreat at Lakeside, Ohio

This Saturday my husband David was sweet enough to watch the kids all day for me while I skipped off to attend a writing retreat in lovely Lakeside, OH.
Our activities included a lecture by John Ettorre and Claudia Taller. We explored the art of Haiku and memoir writing, and at the end of my experience we discussed Frances Mayes' book, Under The Tuscan Sun. The overall census was we felt the film was much more enjoyable and easier for us to relate. However, it was still a great discussion and Claudia did well keeping us on the topic of the book, discussing WHY we didn't enjoy it. I missed the storytelling that took place at the end of the day, which was unfortunate. I'm sure I missed some good life stories! I needed to get back home so I could get a decent night's rest to get my kids up in the morning.

Overall it was a fun day and I met some great people. There were many people there from the Skyline Writers Group, of which Claudia is also a member. Workshops all took place at the lovely Idlewyld Bed & Breakfast. I've visited there before at Artist's Way Retreats, and stayed there last year for my anniversary to see the Who's Line is it Anyway comedy act with Colin Mochrie & Brad Sherwood.

I plan to post later some of the exercises I was able to write during the workshop.

No comments: